Because of the Internet, I’m more empowered to become better, and I’m able to seek the direction that I’m allowed to seek.NoxyTango
Do you have any friends that you don’t speak to for more than a decade, and then you pick up right where you left off as if no time passed? That’s the kind of friendship that I have with NoxyTango. About 12 years ago, we met through a game called Runescape. We would spend hours on this game, creating “Runescape music videos,” increasing our fishing lvls, and forming a group of friends that we still keep in touch with to this day. Then, we became adults. And we didn’t have a full conversation until the time of this recording.
Please enjoy my talk with NoxyTango about the struggles of creativity, old-school Internet culture, and how the Internet brings us closer than we can imagine. I had a blast recording this, and I hope you have a blast listening to it.
Here’s a look at some of my favorite pieces by Noxy. I highly recommend you follow her art. It’s going to bring more color to your world (even though I’m about to list only black and white pieces. Sorry, I’m a huge fan of black and white.)
And you can watch her animations by clicking here.
- Runescape nostalgia and mid 2000s culture in Noxy’s art (2:00)
- How Noxy discovered her art style, how colors influence emotion (4:00)
- Pros and cons of digital art versus non-digital art (6:00)
- Noxy’s influences (8:00)
- Being an artist with Aphantasia, on my Synesthesia, and embodiment psychology (9:00)
- Not being defined by your struggles (23:00)
- How the Internet creates micro bubbles of community (26:00)
- Being represented by our artwork, not how we appear in real life (28:00)
- The dangers of being famous (31:00)
- How the Internet has impacted her art in a positive way (35:00)
- Why nice comments are so valuable to an artist (37:00)
- “You’re good…for a girl” (40:00)
- Defining masculinity and femininity for yourself (43:00)
- Noxy’s writing process, and her upcoming novel (45:00)
- NaNoWriMo (48:00)
- The last time Noxy was in flow (50:00)
- On rejection (55:00)
- Noxy’s message for those who are stuck (58:00)