Meditation is that state where you are no more. Your sense of Self is gone.
If you ask an artist where his work comes from, if he’s a generous artist, he’ll say, ‘I don’t know where it comes.’
Listen on Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Watch on YouTube
Deepu Asok is the author and illustrator of the wonderful and enlightening Visual Wisdom newsletter. He’s also the host of a podcast called The Happiness Hypothesis. He’s got a serious eye for designs that pop.
Deepu and I were dming over meditation and spirituality. But he had to get going, and asked to continue our talk over zoom some time. I said sure. And of course, I asked if he wanted to record our talk for the podcast. He said yes. And so, here we are.
Please enjoy my conversation with the wonderful and wise Deepu Asok!
- On different schools of meditation and yoga (3:00)
- The benefits of doing yoga before meditation (11:00)
- Why meditate? (14:00)
- “Philosophy doesn’t transform you. Practice transform you” (21:00)
- “The lion is trying to help you, but it doesn’t know how.” (28:00)
- On Happiness and work (37:00)
- Three types of work (43:00)
- Selling on Gumroad (50:00)
- The differences between drawing and writing (55:00)
- “You’re paying for the organization of the ideas” / Constraints (1:00:00)
- Art vs Content (1:07:00)
- On books and reading (1:16:00)
- Wishful thinking (1:23:00)
- Flow in drawing (1:35:00)
- Constraints (1:40:00)
- Final questions (1:46:00)
Books and articles